The adaptive use of Durfee High School (1886) provides a first-class county court facility while preserving a community asset. The program called for locating three court departments in the historic structure, requiring extensive reconfiguration to meet their diverse needs. The original 42 rooms were converted to 140 offices, 5 courtrooms, judge’s chambers, holding cells, and a children’s day care center. Finegold Alexander worked closely with DCAMM and the court facilities department to achieve this award winning adaptive use of the former high school.
66,500 sq. ft.
1998 DCPO Award, Excellence in Public Design and Construction
1997 Preservation Award, Massachusetts Historical Commission
1993 AIA Award, Justice Facilities Review